Following his debut in early December, Overwatch 2's Samoan Tank, Mauga, is set to make his mark on the Competitive scene with a series of enhancements. Mauga was introduced in Overwatch 2's eighth season, coinciding with the Battle of the Beasts limited-time mode and a Beast Hunter-themed battle pass. Notably, Mauga became the first Overwatch hero to undergo a trial weekend prior to his official release, signaling a potential shift in the game's hero introduction strategy.
Mauga's effectiveness in battle, particularly at close range with his twin chainguns and formidable Cage Fight ultimate ability, has garnered attention. To bolster his survivability and overall performance, the Overwatch team has implemented buffs in response to player feedback. Overwatch's Lead Hero Designer, Alec Dawson, hinted at these improvements without disclosing specific details.
The December 19 patch notes for Overwatch 2 shed light on the precise buffs Mauga will receive as he steps into Competitive Play. Notably, his base health has been reduced from 350 to 250, but this loss has been compensated by converting 100 health into armor, providing increased durability against enemy attacks. The Incendiary chaingun's ignition threshold has been lowered from 15 shots to 10, promoting quicker enemy ignition, while the solo chaingun's spread has been slightly reduced for enhanced accuracy at range.
Mauga's unique Berserker passive ability, granting temporary overhealth for critical damage dealt, has also received a 10% boost to its conversion rate. This, combined with the Incendiary ignition buff and improved chaingun accuracy, allows Mauga players to build up overhealth more rapidly before engaging in team fights. Previously, Overwatch 2's Tank heroes with long-range capabilities were limited to Orisa and Ramattra, making Mauga's reinforcement at range a welcome addition.
The impact of these changes on the Competitive scene remains to be seen, and the Overwatch community will be closely monitoring Mauga's performance in the coming weeks and months. The December 19 update also brings the Winter Wonderland event, complete with Overwatch 2's first-ever event pass, offering non-competitive players an exciting seasonal experience.
Overwatch 2 December 19 Update Patch Notes:
- Mauga is now available in Competitive Play for players who unlocked him.
- Base health decreased from 350 to 250.
- Base armor increased from 150 to 250.
Incendiary and Volatile Chainguns
- Number of shots with the Incendiary Chaingun to ignite enemies reverted from 15 to 10.
- Spread decreased from 1.1 to 1 when only one Chaingun is active.
- Overhealth conversion rate increased from 50% to 60.
- Fixed a bug that had some heroes’ default weapons appearing locked behind competitive points.
- Hero Mastery - Fixed a bug with replays where only the bookmarks of the first run could be selected.
- Fixed a bug that prevented players from being able to thank each other.
- Fixed a bug that caused the multi-kill voice over to fail to play.
- Fixed a bug with Concussion Mine that allowed Junkrat to launch off of it when placed behind a wall.