Phasmophobia, the widely acclaimed horror game by Kinetic Games, has just rolled out its latest update, version 0.9.4.0, bringing in new enhancements to lighting dynamics and addressing various player feedback. This update, aimed at refining the atmospheric elements of Phasmophobia, ensures a more immersive and terrifying experience for players.
Released in 2020, Phasmophobia gained popularity for its unique blend of cooperative gameplay and paranormal investigation. Players take on the role of ghost hunters equipped with tools to interact with supernatural entities and uncover evidence in haunted locations. The game's virtual reality support and atmospheric sound design contribute to its popularity in the horror genre.
The focal point of the new update is the introduction of features to elevate the lighting dynamics in the game. The Journal now includes new graphics settings, such as Eye Adaptation and Screen Space Global Illumination (SSGI), offering a more realistic representation of light adjustments and bounced lighting. Static lighting has undergone a substantial overhaul across all in-game locations, coupled with an increase in ambient light. External light sources, like the moon and streetlights, now penetrate through windows, adding an eerie layer of realism. Larger rooms, deliberately darker, contribute to the overall immersive atmosphere of Phasmophobia.
Beyond the lighting enhancements, several changes have been implemented. The Holiday Event has been removed, and updates to reflections when toggling lights are now quicker and more consistent. Adjustments to brightness sliders, improvements to hiding spots in the Grafton farmhouse, and fine-tuning of post-processing for more cinematic colors have been made. Performance enhancements accompany the toggling of the fuse box, heightening the scare factor. Notably, ghost writing books are no longer affected by poltergeist abilities.
The update also addresses various fixes, including the restoration of metallic doorknobs' shine, resolution of safe spots in Willow, and correction of item requirements in weekly challenges. Tanglewood's reflection probe has been adjusted to prevent objects from glowing inaccurately, ensuring accurate motion sensor detections on the truck map. Glitches and safe spots in Sunny Meadows and Campsite A and B in Maple Lodge Campsite have also been rectified.
These enhanced lighting systems and adjustments not only respond to player feedback but also elevate the horror experience in Phasmophobia. The commitment to delivering a seamless and immersive ghost-hunting journey is evident in the continuous efforts of the developers.
Phasmophobia Patch Notes 0.9.4.0:
- New graphics settings added to the Journal (Currently not available for VR and requires a graphics card):
- Eye Adaption: Simulates eyes adjusting to light or dark areas over time
- Screen Space Global Illumination (SSGI): Simulates bounced lighting, making lighting and shadows less dark. Performance may be affected, offering three quality settings.
- Removed the Holiday Event
- Reflections update quicker and more consistently when lights are toggled
- Adjusted brightness sliders for ambient light
- Cursor brightness slider adjusted
- Wardrobe and lights in the Nursery in Grafton moved for better lighting
- Range and brightness adjustments for passive player light
- Range and brightness adjustments for several location lights for realism
- Grafton hiding spots optimized
- Player post-processing fine-tuned for more cinematic colors
- Improved performance when toggling the fuse box
- Ghost writing books can no longer be thrown by poltergeist ability
- Metallic door knobs now shiny again
- Fixed several safe spots in Willow
- Corrected item requirements in "Deja Vu" and "Glow in the Dark" weekly challenges
- Adjusted reflection probes in Tanglewood to stop glowing objects inaccurately
- Photo of the Sunny Meadows summoning circle can now be taken
- Motion sensors correctly show detections on the truck map
- Fixed safe spots in Sunny Meadows male room 5 and Maple Campsite Storage Tent 2
- Ghost no longer gets stuck on the fallen-down locker in the School hallway
- Campsite A and B in Maple Lodge Campsite now work correctly